- Increase in the personal tax allowance - people on typical Yorkshire and Humber incomes will see their personal tax allowance increase to £9,205 next year. This will take 74,000 in our region out of income tax altogether and provide a tax cut for a further 1.8 million. This is good news for ordinary working people* and goes a long way towards achieving the Liberal Democrat key manifesto commitment of a £10,000 personal tax allowance.
- Investment in transport infrastructure - Yorkshire and the Humber will benefit from the £130 million to be invested in the Northern Hub rail scheme, which will improve rail links between major cities in the North of England.
- Investment to stimulate growth and jobs - a further £23.7 million has been allocated to local enterprise partnerships in the region. Good news for economic development : )
- Improving broadband - Leeds and Bradford will become "super-connected cities" and as such will benefit from investment of £14.6 million to develop ultra fast broadband.
For more information, please see the Liberal Democrat website.
* Higher rate (40%) taxpayers get smaller increases in their tax free allowance and those earning over £100k get no tax free allowance.